Well, today my wife had to go to a baby shower, so I had a free afternoon to do as I please. I went to my parent’s house and helped my dad burn a couple of his smaller prairie plantings and we started a barrel firing at the same time. It was a great, fire-filled day. I tried a couple different things this time around for the barrel firing. Most of the pieces are new, burnished pieces that I had made over the winter. A couple of the pieces were ones we had previously fired last fall in a barrel and needed to be fired again due to large amounts of miracle grow melted to the side of the pots.
The weather was nearly perfect – it was a bit windier than I would have liked, but I think I shouldn’t have any problems with cracking this time since it is warmer than the last firing I did. I tried a couple different types of clay to see which burnished the best and ended up with the best coloring after the firing. I am pretty exciting to see how they come out. I’ll probably empty the barrels tomorrow afternoon.
I am hoping to do a few barrel firings over the summer – I think I need to drill a few holes into the sides of one of the barrel to see if it helps burn faster and get better results. I wanted to try one more firing without holes to see how they turn out. I also need to stock up on supplies for firing – I found out I was short on a few ingredients for the firing.
My computer is still down and out, but I am hoping to get some photos up soon on the results of the firing. I need to fire the kiln on Tuesday for student’s glazed work and that should give me some time to upload some photos. Hopefully everything turns out great!