Well, I’ve found that I just don’t have as much time to do pottery from May through July. Which is fine, since I have plenty of things going on during the summer but have some time to fill the rest of the year. I’ve been trying to fire some glazed pieces, but a week ago I fired the kiln and it took twice as long to fire.
I figured that was a bad sign when it was 90 degrees outside.
It turns out that, of the six heating elements in my Cress kiln, 3 work fine, 2 work ok, and one doesn’t work at all. Since the kiln is 30 years old, I decided it was time to replace the coils and the switches. So, they have been ordered and all firings are on hold until I get a chance to replace everything.
I hope to post some photos of the replacement process and be up and running again very soon!